Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lunchbox Recipe - Broccoli salad

Today's lunchbox side is a broccoli salad. I know many people will go "eeewwwww"....but it's actually quite tasty even though I'm not such a big broccoli fan myself.
The ingredients are broccoli, bacon, asparagus, carrots, walnuts, raisins, fat-free sour cream, fat-free mayo, apple cider vinegar and sugar.

I blanched the broccoli in boiling water for a couple of minutes and then drained them. This is to remove the "strange" taste/smell of the broccoli. But if you don't mind it, you could just chop up the broccoli and use it raw. I've tried using frozen broccoli to make this salad before....I think it doesn't taste as good as fresh broccoli but it'd still work.
I cut up a few slices of low-sodium bacon into tiny strips and fried them till crispy. I placed the cooked bacon strips on a piece of kitchen towel to remove the grease.
Asparagus were on sale recently and I bought a bunch of them. I decided to add it to my broccoli salad for an "extra" kick.
To give the asparagus a little more flavor.....I stir-fried them quickly in the bacon fat and then placed them on a kitchen towel to remove the excess grease.
The assembly of the salad, as usual, is super easy. Dump everything together in a large mixing bowl! Slowly add in the sour cream & mayo & apple cider vinegar & sugar....a couple teaspoons at a time....all the while tasting it as you gradually add your seasonings...until you've achieved the taste that you like.
I prefer to make this salad and leave it overnight so that the taste is "less sharp". Sometimes, I'd add a little bit of chopped onions to it.....and chopped onions really taste much better when marinated in the dressing overnight. Otherwise, it'd taste wayyyy too "onion-y"....if you know what I mean :P

No comments:

Post a Comment