Tuesday, March 20, 2012

No knit knit bag (upcycling)

I saw some knitted bags on etsy....they are soooooooo pretty but costly....and unfortunately, after a 2-decade hiatus, I've totally forgotten how to knit :P

So I thought....hey, I can sew right?! How about if I make use of old knit sweaters and convert them into purses?

I found a natural color cable sweater at Salvation Army for $3 and I set about to create my first ever no-knit knit bag.

The original bag design was a little more ambitious....but once I started cutting up the sweater...I was horrified to see the knit fabric "disintegrating" right in front of my eyes.

Having had no prior experience sewing knit fabrics...I soon realised that I had bitten off more than I could chew.

Anyway, to keep long story short...I learned that I need to stablise the knit fabric first before I cut. I did that by using a zigzag stitch to sew along the entire length of where I wished to cut. And I also had to prevent fraying of the knit fabric by running the zigzag stitch again around all the edges. And 'cos of the "technical difficulties" involved, I decided to keep the bag design simple...at least for my virgin attempt.

Well...TA-DA!

The fabric flower was made out of an old sheer curtain.
I have to admit that I'm a little intimidated by knit fabrics now after my virgin experience....but I have promised myself to attempt a couple more such no-knit knit bags and not admit defeat so soon....especially when I still have another 3 knitted sweaters from Salvation Army for this purpose....yikes! :P

4 comments: