Thursday, November 26, 2009

Ultra moist & citrusy triple fruit poppy seed cake

I told TP that I'd make dessert for our Thanksgiving dinner tonight. Initially, I thought of making some brownie but I thought it might be a tad too rich after a heavy meal....so I changed my mind and decided to go for something more light and citrusy instead.


A peep into the refrigerator and I found lemons, oranges & some peach yoghurt. What a great combination I thought! What can I say....I love my cakes ultra citrusy =)


So, here's my recipe...


Ingredients:
3 cups of cake flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup of butter (softened)
2 cups of white sugar
3 eggs
3/4 cup of lemon juice (you can use orange juice too...or combination of both)
1 cup of peach yoghurt (or just regular plan yoghurt or any other flavours)
Zest of 2 large lemons & 1 large orange (any combination or zest from a single fruit would do too)
1/3 cup of poppy seeds


Method:
Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and line two 9x5" loaf pans with baking paper.
Sift together flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Add in one egg at a time and continue to mix on medium speed.
Add lemon juice to yoghurt and add into the mixer...alternating between juice/yoghurt and flour mixture. Mix until evenly blended but do not overbeat.
Fold in lemon/orange zest and poppy seeds.
Pour mixture into the pans and smooth tops.
Bake at 350F for 50 minutes. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cake center which should come out clean.
Cool on rack before turning out of pans.


Your kitchen will smell like citrusy heaven when baking this cake.


Here's how my cakes turned out.


The texture is very moist and light....but you'll get some crunch from the little poppy seeds. And the citrus taste is just...hmm hmmm hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

2 comments:

  1. Please do send some over. I would like to have a taste of this beautiful cake, looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...will make some for you when i'm back in singapore.

    ReplyDelete