Sunday, February 7, 2010

Save money by turning flat sheet into fitted sheet in no time....

We have bought numerous bedsheet sets....and every set came with a fitted sheet, a flat sheet and two pillow cases. Normally, I would just use the fitted sheets and pillow cases and leave the flat sheets in their original packagings. I found that to be such a waste!


Now that I've gotten my sewing machine....the very first thing that I wanted to do was to convert all my flat sheets into fitted sheets so that I'd have more of the latter to use. Of course, you can also convert your flat sheets into other things like pillow/body pillow cases, curtains etc. It's all up to you.


This is a super easy and quick way. I didn't bother with hemming the edges as I didn't think the fitted sheets need to look amazing =P But if you've got time and patience, by all means make it look as perfect as you'd like it to be.


Start by laying the flat sheet over the mattress (wrong side up). Make sure the overhanging edges are quite even in length.


At each corner, use your fingers to pinch the fabric together snuggly.....


----lazy me use sewing pins to hold the fabric together....you can tack it if you want.


Then I use the sewing machine to sew a straight line close to the pins. Careful to avoid the pins by removing them one at a time as you sew along.


Trim off the excess fabric at the four corners and the edges (if any)


Sew an elastic band all around the edges (depending on how much elastic band you have on hand, you can also just sew the elastic bands only at the four corners or at the top/bottom edges).


I've sewn the band on the right side of the fabric 'cos it can't be seen anyway once the edges are tucked underneath the mattress....but if you think this looks ugly, you can sew it on the underside of the fabric too. You'd have to stretch the elastic band as much as possible when you are sewing it onto the fabric so that the fabric would gather nicely when you are done. I used a zigzag stitch here.


I've sewn the elastic band on the underside of the fabric for the 2nd piece so that it doesn't show on the right side...it does look neater this way I suppose. Voila...you've got a new fitted sheet....with a perfect fit!
I like to leave the excess fabric scraps for other small projects or you can use them for quilting.
I hope this sewing project can help you save some money from not having to buy so many bedsheet sets in future.

16 comments:

  1. great Demo, thanks ALOT.. this will save me alot of money. when i buy the fitted sheet set, they always come with flat one. the fitted waers out becouse i use it alot. however the flat stays new. it is great to turn the flat sheet into fitted one. great comments and pixs. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by Reem. Now we'll all have 2 fitted sheets for each set! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just googled this! My hubby and I used the flat sheets, but the kids don't, and so I have a ton of twin flat sheets sitting in the closet while the fitted ones wear out. I figured it wouldn't be too hard, but just needed proof that someone else had done it before I dove in! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to sew but was nervous to make them fit right. I thank you very much for making this post! I am thrilled and have many a flat sheet to convert now! Thank you very much! Happy sewing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This is just the tutorial that i've been looking for regarding this! Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GypsyGyz in the CaribbeanJuly 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM

    I've been trying to find a way to do this and all the others sites I've seen are just too complicated. This is simple, realistic and practical for busy life. Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey thanks folks. hope everyone managed to make new fitted sheets out of your flat sheets....and enjoy your new sheets!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this, it seems much easier making a fitted sheet

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was so easy to follow with the pics. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband suggested this fix, and I found your tutorial from Pinterest. Thanks! Here's to double the fitted sheets for half the price! Hooray summer time!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband thought of this for our recent purchase, and now I've found your tutorial through Pinterest. Hoooray for extra time in the summer to make this a reality! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Easy to do, I used the elastic from the worn out bottom sheet, so no extra purchase was required and nothing was wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well! I also share some thing that I have a ton of twin flat sheets sitting in the closet while the fitted ones wear out. I figured it wouldn't be too hard, I would like to use Cotton Flat Sheets, I think It's great one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that tutorial blog, It's really helpful and of course save the time. and change your Flat Sheet in to fitted sheet, i really appreciate for your help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too easy... thank you for the detailed instructions. D

    ReplyDelete
  16. You make it look very simple. Going to give it a try today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete