Thursday, February 4, 2010

Stewed chicken - the accidental recipe....


I like cooking in a somewhat haphazard manner occasionally...no recipes, no measurements...just go with the heart. It's the easiest and most fun way to cook. You just grab whatever you can get hold of...or just add whatever you think would make the dish tastes great.


Today's random recipe is stewed chicken (of some sort). I removed the skin from the chicken thighs and marinated them for a couple of hours with some oyster sauce, coke light (yes, the soft drink coke! I discovered that it makes the chicken very tender), light soy sauce, ABC sauce, thai chilli sauce, ground cumin, ground coriander, 1 star anise & sesame oil.


Then I chopped up some ginger finely...and I cut a whole garlic clove right down the middle (I didn't bother to remove the garlic skin). I also cut a chorizo into thin slices.


Preheat the oven to 275F.


I heated up the cast iron pot on the stove and dropped a tablespoon full of garlic butter into it. Then I drained the chicken of the marinate and set it aside. I stir-fried the ginger pieces and then added in the chicken into the pot to brown for awhile.


Finally I added into the pot the marinate, some wheat beer (hic!hic!hic!), more coke light, more ABC sauce, more soy sauce, 1 cinnamon stick (broken into smaller pieces) & garlic and the chorizo slices. I let everything simmer for a couple of minutes on the stove first before putting the cast iron lid on and pop the entire pot into the oven.


Leave the chicken to cook in the oven for 2hours. Then, we are ready to eat!


The chicken is soooooooooooo tender and flavorful! (oops! self praise!)


NB: Sorry, no exact measurements of ingredients. Just abit of each....if you like more savory, add more soy sauce....if you like it sweeter, then add more sweet sauce....just go with your heart/taste buds.

2 comments:

  1. Next time try putting peanut butter and put it into oven...not bad eat.

    Kay Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Kayjay,

    really?! ok...next time i try. just happened to have a new bottle of peanut butter lying around.

    ReplyDelete