Monday, April 4, 2011

Steamed sago red bean kueh

I had some leftover red bean paste after making the baos and was searching on the internet for something else to make when I chanced upon this steamed tapioca red bean cake recipe at Christine's blog.

As I only had very little red bean paste left, I had to half the ingredients as stated in Christine's recipe. For those of you who can't read Chinese, I'm providing the English translation of Christine's recipe (but using my reduced measurements):

Ingredients
- 100g tapioca pearls
- 42g of fine sugar
- 1/2 tbsp of vegetable oil (in Christine's recipe, she used olive oil)
- 75g red bean paste

Method
- Soak tapioca pearls in water for an hour and drain till very dry (I used kitchen towels to blot off excess moisture)
- Add sugar and oil to the tapioca pearls and stir till well mixed
- Using a non-stick muffin pan (in my case, I used mini foil cupcake liners), place a spoonful of the tapioca pearls at the bottom of each muffin hole to start.
- Next, place a spoonful of the red bean paste over the bottom layer of tapioca pearls.
- Then, cover the bean paste with another spoonful of the tapioca pearls.
- Steam for 25-30min or until tapioca pearls appear translucent.
- Cool and serve

Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator. The kuehs will hardened and turned more opaque. When you feel like eating them, you need only to remove the kuehs from the foil liners and pop them into the microwave oven for approximately 1 minute using the DEFROST function...and the kuehs will become translucent , soft and gooey once again!

This is the small tapioca pearls that I had used.
Oops......too many spoons spoil the picture!!!
Layering the bottom of the foil liners with tapioca pearls......
....and then adding the red bean paste filling before topping it off with more tapioca pearls.
Notice how the tapioca pearls turned very translucent after all the steaming?
The texture is very sticky and a little gooey but the kueh would be able to hold its shape even when the foil is removed.
Take a big chewy bite and enjoy this very refreshing dessert.
Hmmmm......if you ask me how it tastes like.....well, it's kind of a red bean mochi-meets-konnyaku texture! It's my new FAVORITE dessert (all thanks to Christine!)......really really nice....I hope you'll try it too one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment